31/10/2011

themed week // Genesis, Tonight Tonight Tonight

For the first song related with 80's music, I chose Genesis and their hit Tonight, Tonight, Tonight.

Remember that Genesis are a British band having as members Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins.

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight was the fourth single from Genesis album released in 1986 - Invisible Touch, written by Phil Collins and produced by Genesis members at the time - Banks, Collins and Rutherford.
Another hit songs were taken from that album like Land of Confusion or Domino.

This particular album was well received by critics at the time, besides the strong comparison with Genesis singer at the time, with Stephen Thomas Erlewine (who reviewed the album at the time) saying the album "was seen at the time as a bit of a Phil Collins solo album disguised as a Genesis album".

Besides that, Tonight Tonight Tonight has a strong thematic under it. "This song is about meeting with a cocaine dealer. The lyrics detail withdrawal symptoms from a cocaine high and the relief of knowing tonight is the night cocaine will be purchased. It deals with the struggle against the highly addictive drug." like you can read on this website.



"I've got some money in my pocket
I don't remember where I got it
I gotta give it to you
So please answer the phone
'Cause I keep calling
But you're never home
What am I gonna do"

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...